Reporting to the Managing Director, In-house Legal Counsel is responsible for managing and providing legal advice and support services to the clients' Group of companies in relation to the full contract lifecycle. The role holder will act as a trusted legal adviser to the executive team and managers, providing sound legal advice on complex matters ensuring business interests are protected and legally compliant. In-house legal Counsel will be responsible for drafting, reviewing and negotiating contracts, starting at the tender process through to asset delivery and ongoing operation, providing an end to end service throughout the company.
PRINCIPLE DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage the provision of legal services for the clients' Group of Companies.
- Ensure that the needs of the business are delivered in a legally robust and compliant manner.
- Draft, review, negotiate and advise on all types of commercial contracts from the pre-tender stage through to delivery and ongoing operation.
- Review and/or produce precedent documents and provide guidance documents, updates and training as required to all departments.
- Provide advice on contractual issues or disputes during the contract life.
- Provide legal advice on commercial matters, contract interpretation, legislation and compliance, promoting awareness of and compliance with the requirements and regulation governing the activities of the company, and the identification and mitigation of risks.
- Keep abreast of regulatory changes and legislation that could impact the business and provide recommendations on how the business should respond and/or adapt.
- Manage an effective Legal Services Framework to ensure that best practice legal advice is obtained from appropriate external legal firms to supplement the individual’s capability and capacity.
- Proactively manage and ensure value for money in respect of external legal advice as required from professional services firms and legal counsel.
- Exemplify the values and leadership behaviours expected of a leader in the business.
CRITICAL KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- A qualified legal professional with significant expertise and experience in legal matters associated with a Utilities Business.
- Self-motivated, committed and organised with high attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and stakeholder management skills with the ability to engage with and influence the Senior Management Team.
- Credibility and sound judgement with the ability to make decisions quickly and effectively.
- Strong commercial skills with the ability to apply legal knowledge and experience in a commercial setting.
- Ability to produce quality results in a fast-paced, deadline sensitive environment.
- Experience of the Utilities sector and the legal issues associated with a regulated environment is essential.